Descripción del empleo / Job Description
Job Title: Vector Management Technician
Reports to: Vector Management Supervisor
Locations / Hours: Ponce, Puerto Rico / Full-Time Positions
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Contract (1 year term)
The Vector Management Technician is responsible for vector control, surveillance activities, mosquito identification, community engagement and aid the Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit in its goal to control the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Work will be conducted in the field, community and in a laboratory setting. The Vector Management Technician will be exposed to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions. Will be exposed to noise, vibration, exposure to chemicals, fumes, and odors and may be required to wear a mask or other protective gear. Also, will be in close proximity to moving parts and working in high places. This technician will be required to travel by vehicle as part of assigned duties. The incumbent at times will be expected to perform heavy labor (exerting up to 40 lbs. of force to carry, lift, push or otherwise move objects.) Such work shall be conducted in accordance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws, and in accordance with PRVCU’s policies and procedures established by PRVCU’s management.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Essential activities of this position can include the following:
• Conduct surveillance of immature and adult mosquitoes in areas of interest, including deployment and servicing of mosquito traps, adult counts, larval dip counts, and any other method as directed by his or her supervisor.
• Conduct vector control activities, including but not limited to: site inspections, source reduction, application of insecticides or other product(s) determined by Supervisor
• Accurately perform adult mosquito and larvae identification. Prepare samples for storage or molecular testing.
• Conduct mosquito insecticide resistance assays.
• Record data fully in a precise, organized and readable format.
• Follow procedures to handle samples, equipment and materials.
• Meet schedule requirements as assigned by Supervisor.
• Continuously interact with Supervisor to complete scheduled tasks and ensure project timelines are met.
• Prepare, organize and clean materials or supplies for servicing mosquitos traps according to protocol.
• Keep a clean orderly workspace.
• Assist in the evaluation of products or techniques of potential value to the PRVCU control programs.
• Assist in any additional field or laboratory projects that the PRVCU may undertake in the future.
• Support the implementation of a community and business outreach plan according to the Community Division Strategic Plan.
• Organize, attend, and present at business, community, schools, and neighborhood group meetings regarding the PRVCU’s programs, including community mobilization, education, and vector control.
• Coordinate, support, design, and/or implement educational lessons and community outreach related events, including workshops, town hall meetings, special events, social and cultural events, educational booths, educational talks, informational visits, etc.
• Be the primary point of contact and organizer of outreach or educational activities of the PRVCU.
• Develop public education and information materials, presentations and displays, including contributing to newsletters, media/new media outreach, educational material content, social media, and website content.
• Assessing, recording, and reporting on the development, progress, attainment and behavior of students and community members.
• Ensuring the safe custody and optimum use of equipment normally used by oneself during lessons and sees to its regular servicing and maintenance.
• Respond to public and community inquiries and brief organization’s staff on matters of public interest and concern.
• Define requirements, participate in the design and implementation of a community database of interested parties and issues.
• Provide training to community leaders (“Train the Trainers” and other formats).
• Regularly participate or coordinate community outreach activities around the Island during or outside normal business hours.
• Provide support to the Vector Control Unit in general, and the CM division specifically, as needed.
Since our organization is going to change to meet the needs of public health, environmental conservation and the PRVCU, you can expect, anticipate and assume that your job description will change to meet these challenges.
Qualifications & Technical Job Requirements
• Functionally bilingual in English and Spanish (i.e. ability to read, write, and speak in both languages).
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision, often alone in remotes areas or areas with restricted access.
• Ability to successfully engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively as part of a team in a dynamic environment; comfortable and effective in influencing at all organizational levels; ability to tactfully give/receive constructive feedback.
• Impeccable oral and written communications skills in English and Spanish including excellent writing, proofreading, and editing abilities and command of grammar/punctuation, style, and format; ability to communicate, translate, simplify and articulate complex ideas into easily understood and relatable concepts.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other PRVCU employees and members of the public.
• Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical individuals or audiences in both written and verbal formats regarding work performed and the results of work performed. Must be able to maintain diplomacy in interactions with agitated members of the public or co-workers.
• Must be able to learn, understand, and apply required skills relate to biology, mathematics, numerical data, and policies and procedures for data collection, sample collection, preparation, and interpretation of survey and technical reports, and progress reports.
• Must be willing to work outside in fluctuating and unfavorable weather conditions.
• Must possess ability to read, interpret and follow policies, procedures, and technical, legal, and administrative documents related to field and laboratory surveillance activities.
• Must possess ability to create and write correspondence, technical reports, and administrative documents related to field and laboratory surveillance activities.
• Must possess ability to make accurate observations and to keep simple, but detailed records.
• Must be able to evaluate situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Must be able to receive and follow instructions exactly.
• Experience with Microsoft Office.
• Must hold valid Puerto Rico driver’s license.
Experience & Educational Requirements
• Preferred Associate degree in Biology, Natural Sciences, Education, Public Health, Agronomy or related field. Bachelor’s degree highly desirable.
• Documented experience working in vector management.
• Knowledge of vector biology, laboratory techniques (mosquito identification and insecticide resistance) and vector control practices.
To apply for this employment opportunity, you must go to the following link: Recruitment (adp.com) or through our website www.prsciencetrust.org/CareerCenter.
“The Trust is an equal opportunity employer; we strive to maintain a workplace atmosphere that is free from discrimination. To those ends, the Trust provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, national origin, social status, political affiliation, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, perceived or real domestic violence victim status, sexual harassment victim status, stalking victim status, and/or any other basis protected by law.”